Wednesday 3 June 2015

Slowing down to paint one at a time

On a few occasions now I have had the opportunity to slow down and paint single models for use in RPGs. The first up is a human ranger that I painted as a Christmas gift for my friend Nick. I use a LotR Rohan Archer for the model and a bit of slate for some fancy basing. It was a nice change of pace but I was disappointed with the cloth because up until this model everything had been in power armour.

Then we come to Thorfin the Dwarven. I painted this model for my own use in 1 of 2 games of D&D that I've had the chance to enjoy. The model is one of the beautifully sculpted Rackham Confrontation models. It is a shame that these models have long since gone out of production because to this day they remain some of the best sculpts that I have ever seen. He was a neat experiment with trying to paint the glowing blue and the half full wine bottle. My how far I've come in painter skill over the last 4 years.

Finally I present Grock, the half-orc paladin. After finishing the Dwarven table I needed a break from big projects and spent a couple hours on this. He was an attempt to work on different weathering techniques and freehand designs. Unfortunately the battle damage on the shield covered up the freehand triforce. The LotR Urukhai Captain has an interesting pose, but the smaller scale continues to challenge me. 

In the end it's nice to had that break and paint something just for fun. I also like to try out new techniques on these models as an opportunity to mess up and not wreck a big project.

No comments:

Post a Comment